THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Friday, September 3, 2010

My Pedagogical Philosophy (Teaching Autobiography)

Autobiography

My aspiration to enter the field of professional education began with a rather unsettling event in my early high school career. It was the first day of my freshman year of high school. I was faced with the daunting task of completing the dreaded Honors English course with a passing grade of C or better. As I entered my second period English classroom, I noticed the walls were riddled with Shakespeare posters and other literary paraphernalia. I quietly chose my seat at the front of the classroom and awaited the instructor’s arrival. The look on every students face shared the same tense expression. Once the instructor arrived, she went right to business with role call, not asking for any short tales of the splendor of our two-and-a-half month break. I remember the teacher’s first words after taking the attendance:

“If you are expecting to simply pass this course with a B, you should think about transferring out, this is an extensive course in English Literature.”

These words of advice worked to their contrary, I was then motivated to strive my hardest to be an exceptional English student.

I began to truly value the work of the English teacher in my senior English class. It was just a general Senior English course, no AP or Honors preface tacked on. The thing I valued most about my Senior English class was that the instructor allowed the class to have a voice in the writing we turned in. Peer groups in which we were encouraged to share our thoughts with one another were administered weekly. I began to value the concept of group work as a means to allow students to develop an authoritative voice in their writing. I carried my Senior English teacher’s ideas of peer evaluation into my work as an afterschool instructor at Boys and Girls Club of Garden Grove, where I worked for a year and a half, aiding students in their writing skills five days a week.

The most important observation I made as an after school instructor was how much students enjoyed talking about their work. I would spend one of the four hours we had together helping the students with their assignments, most of which were writing assignments. My first thought was to let them come to me, so that we could address any issues together. I learned, through careful observation, that many of the students were intimidated at the thought of approaching me. I spent some time adjusting the students into groups where they could share about their ideas, and immediately, I could see the cogs turning. I was then able to develop a system in which the students could edit each other’s work and approach me with any questions that weren’t answered from the group work. By the end of my first school year, I had accomplished something with my students that I never thought I could: I helped build their confidence as writers. My experience as an after school instructor led me to think back upon what my freshman Honors English teacher had said. It was no wonder that many of us left the class with a satisfactory grade, we had no confidence in our voice as writers.

I have held firm to the notion that students should feel comfortable in the classroom setting. The area in which a student learns should be an environment that is welcoming and enriching. Students need edification, not intimidation, in order to effectively function in the classroom. Our students must be built up in confidence, not dragged down in embarrassment.

Ultimately, my goal is to enter the education system with a positive outlook on what our students can accomplish. I believe that students have the unique ability to command the power of written word. Students have much to say, and should not be intimidated to let their voice be heard. In fact, this power lies within us all, educators and students alike. Peer review has, in the past, revealed to me that students delight in the chance to share ideas with one another. We all have the ability to positively impact the classroom with enriching ideas. Students will always be the next generation, and we, as educators, must do our best to help them realize their full potential as educated individuals. After all, if we cannot hear the students’ voices, how will we ever know what the next generation has to offer?

0 comments: